Numeracy can be thought of as mathematical literacy – it includes the essential skills needed for solving problems, processing information, making decisions and interpreting data.
Being numerate is about appreciating number relationships and interpreting answers, and not just about doing calculations.
- Being able to critically assess statistics used by advertisers or politicians
- Being able to manage family budgets – credit cards, offers at supermarkets and so on
- Being able to estimate – in all kinds of situations, e.g. journey speed, time and distance, roughly how much a bill will be or your expected bank balance at the end of the month…
- Being able to solve problems and make decisions in a numerate way
In order to increase levels of numeracy throughout the school, this year we have introduced the ‘Problem of the Week’ into tutor time. One morning a week is dedicated to numeracy within tutor groups where a problem is presented and individuals, small groups and whole tutor groups are welcome to submit answers into a weekly draw. Winner receive 20 house points each if individuals or small groups, 5 house points each if entering as a tutor group and everyone is entered into a final end of year raffle with prizes from local businesses around Bicester.
Why not have a go yourself with the link below: Problem of the week 2017-2018 – Sept 2017
Numeracy will also this year be awarded at different levels throughout KS3 and KS4. During Y7 and Y8 students will be working towards Level 1 and during Y9 and Y10 will be working towards Level 2. Termly diagnostic assessments will be used to award students with numeracy grades once every half term:
- Levels of achievement awarded at Level 1 and 2
- Level 1:
- Grade 2/3: Pass
- Grade 4: Merit
- Grade 5+: Distinction
- Level 2:
- Grade 4: Pass
- Grade 5: Merit
- Grade 6+: Distinction
- Level 1:
Students will continue to work towards a distinction at Level 1 and Level 2 throughout KS3 and KS4. Certificates will be awarded each half term during year group assemblies starting from January 2018.