Ms Bonnie Powell is the Lead Professional for the ‘More Able’ initiative.
For students at The Bicester School, the More Able initiative will be open to all children with very high learning potential. This usually means the most academic students who have achieved at least two level 5 qualifications in their Key Stage 2 SATs tests. Also, it could mean some students who may have just missed the two Level 5 qualifications but have put in an excellent effort and accelerated rate of progress since the start of Year 7.
The More Able initiative is a government-backed initiative aimed at stretching and challenging ‘More able’ students in every classroom and in every school, with opportunities to further their particular gifts and talents outside school at a local, regional and national level.
As a school, we aim to provide many opportunities for our ‘More able’ students and to encourage them inside and outside the classroom to help achieve and exceed their potential. We aim to stretch and challenge all individuals tailoring their learning experience to individual needs. We are keen for them to achieve the highest possible grades and aspire to study at the world’s best universities, whilst at the same time experiencing enhanced opportunities for personal development.
- Students have been identified across years 7-11 for the More Able initiative
- The IGGY portal is now available and passwords have been issued to all More Able students in years 9-11
- Ms Powell is currently mentoring a group of highly academic year 11 students every week
- Links are currently being explored with The Natural History Museum and the University of Oxford to investigate student workshop opportunities
- A year 10 group is being formed for the Spring term, which will be mentored by Ms Powell. This will in stages cascade down to year 7 by the end of the academic year
- Membership has been set up with NACE (National Association for Able Children in education). We would encourage all parents of our More Able cohort to have a look at the NACE website for further information.